6. Preparing Summaries of Analytical Data
- Open the Summary program ( Process
Quantitative Analysis Summary).
- Select your group and sample from the SAMPLE
- Select the analyses you want to summarize:
- If you want to summarize all the analyses go
to Step 4.
- Click the Clear
- Click the Some
- Fill in the appropriate values in the From
and To boxes.
- Click Select
and then Close.
- Determine the type of summary you would like.
The following four types comprise the minimum data set you should
have for all analytical runs. If you need another type or format
of summary discuss it with lab personnel.
- Normal - This
summary produces a file containing all the information on the
normal printout. You should use this type of summary if you did
not print out your results.
- Standard - This
summarizes all the standard conditions used for the analyses.
This information is important in the event that there is a problem
with the analyses.
- Row + Spreadsheet
- This is the most useful format for actually working with the
results of the analyses. Each row is one analysis, with the elements
arranged in columns. The comments are appended to the end of the
row. This summary is imported easily into most spreadsheet programs.
- Column + Data and Average.
This format is useful for printing out the analyses as it is
the most compact summary available. Unfortunately the comments
are not included in the summary.
- Click the Type
Out button. A text window containing the summary
- When the data stops scrolling click the Save
- In the Directories
box click the two dots ( .. ), this will climb the directory tree
one level and allow you to save files in your group directory.
- Type a name for the summary to be saved under.
It is recommended that related groups of summaries be given
similar names in order to facilitate data transfer by mail or
FTP. In order to allow periodic deletion of summary files the
following name extensions are strongly recommended.
- Spreadsheet type - *.exc
- Column + Data and Average - *.col
- Standard - *.std
- Normal - *.ful
- Click the OK
- Close the listing window and prepare the next
- These summary files can then be downloaded using
FTP or mailed using the probemail program. See lab staff for