2. Sample Exchange
(For a more detailed description, see the manual)
1. Remove the transmitted light arm from the chamber!
(LENS button light off)
. Severe damage will occur if this is not done before inserting samples.
from the Stage Monitor menu, and click
3. Blank the electron beam.
(PCD button lit)
4. Seal the airlock lid and press the green button to evacuate the airlock.
5. When evacuation is complete
when the green light goes off wait 4-5 minutes
, slowly open the isolation valve between the column and the airlock, keeping the vacuum less than 5x10
6. Retrieve the sample holder using the sample exchange rod.
7. Close the isolation valve and press the green button to vent the airlock.
8. Open the airlock by lifting and pulling on the lid, remove and replace samples.
Remember to wear gloves, and to be sure you have oriented the sample holder properly!
9. Seal the airlock lid, and press the green button to evacuate the airlock.
10. When the airlock is evacuated
(when the green light has gone out wait 4-5 minutes
, slowly open the isolation valve, keeping vacuum less than 5x10
11. Replace the sample holder slowly, so as not to lose y-axis calibration.
12. Close the isolation valve and press the green button.
13. Click on the
button in the Sample Exchange confirmation window.
14. Make sure the green button is lit before proceeding.